My Little Piece of The Net

 
Goals for the 26th year
  • Quit Smoking.

  • Write to Someone I Admire (Can be anyone from friend to celebrity).

  • Send 27 Post Cards (I miss connecting with people outside of the internet).

  • Leave the State for vacation.

  • Pay off my credit cards.

  • Give handmade gifts for special occasions. (Due to my schedule, I will give as many as I can)

  • Publish writing.

  • Sky dive or bungee jump.

  • Start a work out routine.

  • Debate with someone and try to see their side.

  • Walk for a cause.

  • Take a dance class.

  • Read a book a month (at least).

  • Give a gift to a stranger.

  • Hang out with my brother more often.

  • Seek Grammar/Writing Education Opportunities.

  • Volunteer my time outside of school.

  • Stop to reflect on the good things. (May decide to blog it, may decide to write it down in a journal).

  • Maintain a sick time balance at work.

  • Save up for a cushion/emergency fund.

  • Slumber Party/Diva Evening. (I miss sleep-overs!)

  • Learn to walk in heels!

  • Bring lunch to work (at least 3x a week).

  • Take a financial workshop.

  • Learn to cook/cook more often.

  • Go Camping!

  • Stop spending all my money on coffee!

Secret Pal Contest
Friday, March 30, 2007
Please post about your favorite yarn and your least favorite yarn (if you have one)! What have you made with it? Tell us about your experiences!

My favorite yarn that I have not worked with yet is Malabrigo. My favorite yarn that I have worked with it Lionbrand Homespun. It was the yarn of my very first long term project. You know, the hooded poncho that I have been working on forever. -=giggle=- It's so soft and easy to work with and it also keeps you very very cozy warm. I can't wait to finish the hood and snuggle into it. There is just something comforting about the feeling of it.

My least favorite yarn is easy...Debbie Bliss Aplaca Silk. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what but whoever said it was soft lied to me. I decided to make a pair of really beautiful corset gloves from it, because that is what the pattern called for. So I took the word of the creator that it was nice and soft and I ordered a couple skeins. I noticed it didn't feel right when I touched it. But I thought, "What the hell ? I'll knit it and wash it and it will be fine." I knitted the most beautiful gloves ever.. put them on.. and broke out into hives. So I washed it once (with a lot of fabric softener) and put them on.. Hives... Washed them again... Hives.

Needless to say, I am not a fan. Those gloves are hanging out in my closet until I find a recipient who can wear the things.
posted by Valerie @ 11:15 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At March 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM, Blogger Patricia said…

    Thats too bad. I feel your "hives". DB yarn is kind of pricey and its such a bummer when the yarn is not up to snuff! I had great luck with the Cashmerino Aran.

     
  • At March 31, 2007 at 3:04 AM, Blogger Hattie said…

    Maybe it's the alpaca? I have some that even feels soft and I break out touching it to my neck. Just a tiny bit, and sometimes my arms. :(

     
  • At March 31, 2007 at 1:40 PM, Blogger Fancy Pants said…

    That sucks about the alpaca/silk blend. Is it the same with other alpaca(s)? Anyway. You will love working with the malabrigo! I have three hanks which I have sitting out for fondling purposes. It's luscious. As to the bathing suit, I will let you know. I doubt the one I'm making will ever see water but I've been told they hold up reasonably well. If you ever wanna come visit, just lemme know! We'll give you the friend hook-up at the tattoo shop and get you a badass tattoo for a low low price...heheehe.

     
  • At March 31, 2007 at 6:33 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    That stinks! Although I've never handled the brand myself (yes, the sound of a thousands knitters gasping at that one) I kinda shocked that it was so itchy. Maybe it's just that brand?

     
  • At April 2, 2007 at 5:20 PM, Blogger c h r i s t i n e said…

    DEBBIE BLISS ALPACA SILK IS THE BAIN OF MY EXISTANCE. I don't know WHY, but everytime I knit with it I get frustrated and give up. I am currently working on the Clementine Shawlette (Interweave '07) and I am debating on whether or not to frog it... oh well. I love it but I hate it!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Valerie
Home: Troy, New York, United States
About Me: I am 26 years old. I work, go to school, participate in roller derby and knit every chance I get. Oh, I also love hanging out with my boyfriend (Grim) and two cats (Kiya and Sigh).
See my complete profile
Daily Reads
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

BLOGGER

© 2005 My Little Piece of The Net Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Car Pictures