My Little Piece of The Net

 
Goals for the 26th year
  • Quit Smoking.

  • Write to Someone I Admire (Can be anyone from friend to celebrity).

  • Send 27 Post Cards (I miss connecting with people outside of the internet).

  • Leave the State for vacation.

  • Pay off my credit cards.

  • Give handmade gifts for special occasions. (Due to my schedule, I will give as many as I can)

  • Publish writing.

  • Sky dive or bungee jump.

  • Start a work out routine.

  • Debate with someone and try to see their side.

  • Walk for a cause.

  • Take a dance class.

  • Read a book a month (at least).

  • Give a gift to a stranger.

  • Hang out with my brother more often.

  • Seek Grammar/Writing Education Opportunities.

  • Volunteer my time outside of school.

  • Stop to reflect on the good things. (May decide to blog it, may decide to write it down in a journal).

  • Maintain a sick time balance at work.

  • Save up for a cushion/emergency fund.

  • Slumber Party/Diva Evening. (I miss sleep-overs!)

  • Learn to walk in heels!

  • Bring lunch to work (at least 3x a week).

  • Take a financial workshop.

  • Learn to cook/cook more often.

  • Go Camping!

  • Stop spending all my money on coffee!

Playing Catch Up
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
I know.. I know it's been a couple of days now. It's been a little bit of a busy week for me. Primarily my main focus is on that silly speech I have to give tomorrow. I found an angle and ran with it. No myths, nothing that can be thrown to religion, philosophy, etc. The problem is that most of the information is really and seriously biased. I took my information straight from medical paperwork, I guess that's hopefully as unbiased as it can get. We'll see, I think it's decent and I can debate with the best of them. I'll keep you posted.

On another note, I was assigned my secret pal and someone was assigned me. I am all excited to send my first package out! And of course I am eager to see what collection of things my secret pal will be sending me. -=waves to Secret Pal=-

I got a couple of nice surprises today for my birthday. It's not until next week but I am not complaining. First of all.. I got this towards the middle of February and wanted to post it too!

I got this necklace from My friends Amy & Davinya!

I love it! I mean it really is beautiful and it sits right next to the heart where it is supposed to. I feel bad though, I still have no idea what to get either of them for their birthdays. I guess I am just an easy person to peg for gifts ?

Next Jan sent me a package full of beautiful things.


The ring you can actually barely see. It's up in the left corner. Try as I might I couldn't get a good shot of the thing. It's made from pure silver that is smithed to shine like diamonds. It winds together and meets in the middle. The book Secret, which has to do with mental visualization to achieve what you desire. The silver necklace (my favorite) says "Well Behaved Women" on one side and on the other, "Rarely make history." Then the hematite bracelet, which is beautiful! I can't believe she remembered how much I love hematite. It is said that it protects you against the bad elements that you can encounter in life. Grim's grandparents also sent me spending money, which still shocks and amazes me to no end. The last thing I got today was the knowledge that I am getting the corset I wanted!! Grim and his family are chipping in their money to get it for me. They don't want me out selling everything I own for it essentially. I have already tried a friend's on, and they are beautiful!! I'll post when I actually recieve it. -=does a dance=- Mom also called and told me she was taking me out for a Spa Day on my birthday. She got me one a couple of years ago and it literally was heaven. The only thing missing was someone to dry you off when you got out of the tub and maybe those cucumber sandwiches (not that I would like them if I ate them but just giving you visuals here). I am prancing around because it's not even my birthday yet and everything rocks! -=giggle=- Next weekend is the trip to NYC. We're staying at a friend's house Friday and Saturday night I believe. Friday is the VAST show and Saturday I am going out to The Point (Yarn Store/Cafe) and then later on to a club (maybe, not sure yet). -=does another dance=-

Knitting related news... I started the shawl again, but I am just going a big garter stitch shawl. I figured that if I really wanted to make the thing, why not just make it basic. The rib stitch pissed me off so badly that I just didn't want to try that again. So the progress buttons have been updated if you want to see. The gloves are coming along nicely though. I am actually at a stopping point until I get the chance to ask for help. The pattern says that I need to knit then turn and purl. I am kind of stumped as I have never turned my work before.

Here's what the pattern says, maybe someone else understands it.

Knit 38 Turn
Purl 15 Turn
Starting w/ knit row work 6 rows in St st on these 15 st only, ending with a WS row
Change to B
Bind off loosely.

Any ideas ?


That's all for now! Post again sooner than later!

Labels:

posted by Valerie @ 10:01 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At March 15, 2007 at 3:35 AM, Blogger Hattie said…

    That last part on your pattern, just turn as if you were at the end of the row. Your yarn will be on the left, but that's ok, just knit or purl like normal. Make sense?

     
  • At March 15, 2007 at 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That turning in your pattern is called "Short Row Shaping", and you'll use it in sock heels, sometimes in sock toes, and in some sweater patterns too.
    Just do like Hattie said and flip your work as though you were at the end of the row. Some patterns will have you wrap that last stitch when you turn, but others don't.
    Here is a nice article from Knitty with some good example pictures showing what the short rows will do for you:
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATbonnetric.html

    ~S. Pal

     
  • At March 15, 2007 at 10:18 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    Wohoo! Happy Birthday! Mine is coming up in a few weeks. I get the same ol' apple pie with a candle stuck in it (which is great since I'm not a fan of cake.)

    Hematite is awesome. I think it's cool that it used to be called bloodstone and volcano spit! It's also great for healing too. :)

     
  • At March 16, 2007 at 10:03 AM, Blogger Mistress Pounce said…

    You're not exactly the easiest person to peg for gifts... It was pretty much a fluke that we found the scarab. But when we did, we remembered yours & Vin's conversation. So yeah... that's how that turned out.

    If you can give me ideas to stockpile for future use? ;-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Valerie
Home: Troy, New York, United States
About Me: I am 26 years old. I work, go to school, participate in roller derby and knit every chance I get. Oh, I also love hanging out with my boyfriend (Grim) and two cats (Kiya and Sigh).
See my complete profile
Daily Reads
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

BLOGGER

© 2005 My Little Piece of The Net Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Car Pictures