My Little Piece of The Net

 
Goals for the 26th year
  • Quit Smoking.

  • Write to Someone I Admire (Can be anyone from friend to celebrity).

  • Send 27 Post Cards (I miss connecting with people outside of the internet).

  • Leave the State for vacation.

  • Pay off my credit cards.

  • Give handmade gifts for special occasions. (Due to my schedule, I will give as many as I can)

  • Publish writing.

  • Sky dive or bungee jump.

  • Start a work out routine.

  • Debate with someone and try to see their side.

  • Walk for a cause.

  • Take a dance class.

  • Read a book a month (at least).

  • Give a gift to a stranger.

  • Hang out with my brother more often.

  • Seek Grammar/Writing Education Opportunities.

  • Volunteer my time outside of school.

  • Stop to reflect on the good things. (May decide to blog it, may decide to write it down in a journal).

  • Maintain a sick time balance at work.

  • Save up for a cushion/emergency fund.

  • Slumber Party/Diva Evening. (I miss sleep-overs!)

  • Learn to walk in heels!

  • Bring lunch to work (at least 3x a week).

  • Take a financial workshop.

  • Learn to cook/cook more often.

  • Go Camping!

  • Stop spending all my money on coffee!

Another Question
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Would you trust a laptop in a hand knit bag? I can't find a backpack anywhere without it costing me an arm and a leg so I thought I would make a messenger/laptop bag. Only thing is that I don't want it to end up breaking of ripping and there goes the lap top. What do you think?

Labels: ,

posted by Valerie @ 11:19 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At December 29, 2007 at 11:44 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    If it's felted..no problem! I used knitted bags for purses a lot. The best one was a small felted purse...I don't use it since it's tiny and I need a book bag sized purse. It held a lot and was really durable. They've got a great bag in stitch and bitch..(the second book not the first one.)

     
  • At December 29, 2007 at 9:10 PM, Blogger Hattie said…

    Yeah just what I was going to say, if you felt it you should be fine! I know a pattern for one on DIY network from Knitty Gritty, it was just a messenger bag, but it was pretty easy to knit too.

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 3:57 AM, Blogger cm said…

    This is a great laptop bag and cheap... I have one...

    http://www.amazon.com/Targus-TCM004US-Messenger-15-4-Notebook/dp/B000B63KSM/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199004200&sr=8-4

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 7:28 AM, Blogger Zu said…

    Felted would work, or maybe if it was lined and had a fabric handle or something sturdy.

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 11:37 AM, Blogger Valerie said…

    I think I am going to make the laptop case from Stitch'n'Bitch Nation. It looks like an easy knit. I'll just line it and pad the lining as well. I have never done a strap, so what do you guys thing, should the rgular knitting strap be strong enough or should I get a ready made one.

    CM- Thank you for the suggestion, the problem is that my laptop is a 17". Everything I have found for these things will run me about 70 dollars or so.

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 12:54 PM, Blogger Sheila said…

    You shouldn't have a problem with a knitted bag. I did a crochet messenger bag for my daughter and lined it with denim and I think that was 2 years ago and she has schlepped her laptop around in it. For the strap I purchased a fabric belt, removed the buckle and sewed each end of the belt to the corresponding ends of the bag. Your idea about padding it sounds good. Have a beautiful Happy New Year.

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 11:01 PM, Blogger D.Moontear said…

    Try knitting the strap in a smaller gauge since you can't felt cotton/acrylic.

     
  • At December 31, 2007 at 8:48 AM, Blogger Patricia said…

    no, I would try Marchall's or TK=J Maxx for an inexpensive leather messenger bag. My concern are liquids or the wool holding damp.

     
  • At January 6, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Blogger Kaparoo said…

    My laptop lives in a felted mitered square bag I got in Tote Exchange 3. I did trade out the I-cord handles and replace them with 'pleather' straps from JoAnn's clearance rack. It is also lined and around the sides (but not on the bottom), it has a canvas mesh frame. The frame is just a tube, no corners, so it holds itself upright and open nicely. The bottom and the straps keep it an oval. It's great!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Valerie
Home: Troy, New York, United States
About Me: I am 26 years old. I work, go to school, participate in roller derby and knit every chance I get. Oh, I also love hanging out with my boyfriend (Grim) and two cats (Kiya and Sigh).
See my complete profile
Daily Reads
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

BLOGGER

© 2005 My Little Piece of The Net Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Car Pictures